Metropolitan State will begin the use of preferred names for students, faculty and staff through a new procedure being implemented in January. University community members may request the use of a preferred name using this form.
Metropolitan State, as a member of Minnesota State Colleges and Universities, recognizes and supports community members who wish to use preferred names where legally permissible. A preferred name is a name that a person has chosen to identify with that is different, in whole or in part, from their legal name. This is a significant milestone that will afford persons greater ability to self-identify using their preferred name.
Examples of preferred names include:
- Transgender individuals may prefer to use a name that reflects the identity they are presenting
- International individuals may prefer to use a “Western” name
- Nicknames may be preferred: Dan versus Daniel, Betsy versus Elizabeth
In July 2015, MnSCU adopted a procedure by which individuals in the system may designate a preferred name to be used in the course of system business and education. MnSCU is beginning a phased implementation of the preferred name procedure.
Students, faculty and staff members will generally be permitted to designate any preferred name, including first, middle and/or last name. The system reserves the right to deny an inappropriate preferred name including, but not limited to those that: avoid legal obligations, misrepresent, or violate other system policies. Preferred names may not be used for commercial or promotional purposes and thus may not be a company name, group name or message.
The goal of the preferred name procedure is a consistent preferred name experience across the system and use of one’s preferred name wherever a legal name is not required.
Starting in January, Metropolitan State begins collecting names from students or other members of its community who choose to identify themselves within information systems with a preferred name in addition to legal name. The individual’s preferred name shall be used whenever feasible and legally possible as part of a rolling implementation schedule.
The first phase allows preferred names to be used in the following:
- Students/employees homepage on D2L
- Students/employees e‐services homepage
- Email account (unless your email account uses your StarID)
- Online directory
- Class rosters, advisee list, grade & LDA (last date of attendance) entry, wait list report and grade change request
- Faculty advisee lists
A future phase (implementation date to be determined) extends the use of a preferred name to other areas:
- Student invoice
- Honors program lists
- Commencement programs
- Alumni Office records
- Student ID Card
- Library records
Legal name must continue to be used for the following:
- Official and unofficial transcripts
- Paychecks and pay stubs
- Financial Aid records
- Official correspondence from the college/university
- Tax Forms
- Federal immigration documents
- SEVIS records
- International student documentation
Use this form to request use of a preferred name; identification is required for security purposes. The form must be submitted in person or be notarized if submitted via mail.
- Students and alumni should submit the request to any Gateway location.
- Faculty and staff should submit the request to Human Resources, Saint Paul Campus, Founders Hall, Suite 318.
For more information, students can contact Gateway at 651-793-1300; faculty and staff can email Human Resources or call 651-793-1275.