Warning of carbon monoxide dangers emphasized during cold temperatures

Winter is here, and fortunately without Whitewalkers. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t things to be concerned about. Frostbite, hypothermia and common colds, to name a few; but another serious concern is one that can happen in the warm comforts of home: carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas formed by the incomplete combustion of fuels. When people are exposed to CO gas, the CO molecules displace the oxygen (O2) in their bodies and lead to poisoning.

It is not common practice to leave windows open during freezing temperatures, thusly, carbon monoxide has a better chance of building up indoors. It is wise to take the necessary steps to prevent poisoning.

The Minnesota State Health Department, will provide information on carbon monoxide poisoning and how to:

  1. Properly vent and maintain fuel-burning appliances
  2. Know the symptoms of CO poisoning
  3. Install and maintain CO alarms in your home