The 19th Annual President’s Leadership Awards presentation recognizes the student organizations and leaders that have made great effort to bring quality programming and events to Metropolitan State University.
The event for the university community was hosted by Interim Director of Student Development and Programming Philip Fuehrer and Student Life Leadership Development Coordinator Alysia Lajune on May 24 in Metropolitan State University’s Great Hall, New Main, Saint Paul Campus.
In a welcome address, President Virginia “Ginny” Arthur talked about the importance of an event such as this that highlights the hard work of outstanding individuals. She was especially honored to carry on the tradition passed on to her by her predecessors.
Dean of Students Herbert King echoed Arthur’s message honoring the members of the university community who lead by impressive example.
Student Senate President Dhibo Hussein mentioned some of the accomplishments of the senate in the past year, saying she was particularly proud of the Student Senate’s achievement to getting the Dean’s List added to Metropolitan State University. This award will be put into effect fall 2017.
The list of award winners is as follows:
- Outstanding Student Organization Advisor: Linda Martinez
- Program of the Year: Understanding and Responding to Mass Incarceration (Alcohol and Drug Counseling Student Association)
- Perseverance Award: Richard Downs, Jr.
- SLLD Wow Factor Awards: Troy Mathias
- Male Student Leader of the Year: Guyo Kotile
- Female Student Leader of the Year: Tina Martinez
- Student Organization of the Year: Nursing Student Organization